Re: [Debconf-team] Budget woes

(I am picking up some points from elsewhere in this thread, as well)

On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 5:33 AM, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:

> In the process, I've taken a pass over the rest of the budget, and have bad
> news:  we have way more money in the DebConf14 accounts than we're actually
> going to use.

Oh the horrors ;)

>  - Water bottles

Good idea, imo. If they are generic with only the Debian logo,
overstock could be sold at other conferences etc along with the other
Debian swag.

>  - Beverage service

If the tap water is chlorinated or otherwise processed in a way that
tastes strongly, water bottles may be a nice service indeed.

In-room water bottles are not needed when you have reusable bottles, imo.

While I personally don't want to over-coffee by perma-sipping, if
others think this is worthwhile and the price is OK... why not.

The rest of the options the catering monopoly is offering seem...
monopolistic...

> Should we pursue either of these options?  Are there any other nice-to-haves
> that we should consider adding?

I know there is/was a Debian conference box in Europe which contains
assorted gear of value at conferences. Think power strips, switches,
etc. If gear needs to be bought anyway, maybe try and think of how it
can be re-used in the future and shop with that in mind. Maybe getting
that slightly larger and more sturdy switch is worth it if it can be
used a few dozen times in the future.
In particular, the video team may be able to benefit from this idea.

This kind of future investment is in the back of my head if DC15 ends
up being overfunded and we have similar "problems".

Richard