Re: [Debconf-team] sponsored meal projections?

also sprach Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> [2014-08-12 06:46 +0200]:
> I think that, because this DebConf is in an urban setting with lots of other
> food options around, our sponsored attendees will tend to "undersubscribe"
> to the sponsored food.  The PSU folks agree, and have suggested a guideline
> of committing to 15-20% less than our total sponsored count.

We are preparing for the same at DC15. However, since it'll
considerably further to get food in HD, we reduce by smaller
numbers.

> This number is in line with what I had been thinking myself, but
> I want to ask the team, do we have any other better-informed
> modeling of attendees' dining patterns?

We do not. When I first looked into this, there was nothing I could
find. It would be good to record those numbers, but that'll be neigh
impossible without volunteers (and their coordination), or help from
the venue. We can probably come up with good numbers in HD given how
food will work there.

> For the record, it turns out that the "limit" on cash purchases of
> the meals on site is not too much of a limit after all - whatever
> level we commit to, they can apparently accommodate up to 100
> additional meals.

Gosh, that's a comfortable position. ;)

In that case, I would certainly go down 20%. Maybe not so much on
the first 2–3 nights and maybe even down to 30% on the last two
nights, as I think people won't immediately dine outside, but are
more likely as the week drags on.

: :'  :  DebConf orga team
`. `'`
  `-  DebConf14: Portland, OR, USA:   http://debconf14.debconf.org