Re: [Debconf-team] Getting the network running

Hi Gaudenz,

On Mon, Jun 02, 2014 at 06:20:28PM +0200, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
> I've been involved in the network setup of DC12 and more or less
> followed what has been done for DC13, though I was not the one actually
> doing most of the stuff there.
>
> Kees Cook <kees@debian.org> writes:

> >> When you say "similarly", do you mean 3 each per hacklab, or just one?
> >> (we've generally used more than one per room if we have the chance, but
> >> that depends on the number of people you're expecting in each room, and
> >> how close the rooms are together etc. -- none of which I know).
> >
> > One is probably not enough -- I was being optimistic. If you've used 2
> > before, that should be our minimum.
>
> You can see the list of AP used at DC12 here:
> https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf12/Wireless
>
> We had 3 APs in the bigger hacklab, 2 in the smaller one, 3 in the
> smaller talk room and 4 in the big auditorium. All the network was on
> the same ethernet segment. We initially had some doubt if that would be
> a good idea (because of broadcast traffic, ie ARP), but it was not a
> problem. We used VLANs to separate the network for the participants from
> the one for the Video Team. So that there is a smaller chance that any
> rogue device can bring down the Video Team network.

Thanks! These are great details. Since the Video Team has a GigE
requirement, we'll have to run physically separate cable for them. The
"common" network in the walls is all 100Mb.

> The videoteam had their own devices with the wirless turned off. These
> were also managed by the network team and used to "untag" the VLANs.
>
> All devices were flashed with OpenWRT. This is quite practical for two
> reasons (beside the fact that its Free Software ;-)):
> - It's easier to deploy identical configuraitons as you can copy around
>   configuration files and don't have to click through a web interface.
> - You can configure different VLANs and trunk ports on the built in
>   Switch of the APs. Most consumer grade APs are not VLAN capable.

Yeah, my plan was for OpenWRT too. However, we'll defer to what's possible
with our equipment. :)

> At the central switch I would advise to have a Switch which can detect
> network loops and shut down ports if a loop is detected. This saved us
> in one occasion. It's really easy to create a loop if there is a mess of
> cables on a table.

Yay for spanning tree!

> >> I've not yet got as far as booking flights, but assuming that I'm
> >> coming, I'll be turning up early and may have some time between doing
> >> video-setup.
> >
> > Great! I'll add you to the list. :)
>
> If I make it to Portland I can certainly come a few days earlier and
> help with network setup if needed. I'm not sure yet if I can make it at
> all though.

Sounds good. Thanks!

-Kees

--