Re: [Debconf-team] Getting the network running

Hi

I've been involved in the network setup of DC12 and more or less
followed what has been done for DC13, though I was not the one actually
doing most of the stuff there.

Kees Cook <kees@debian.org> writes:

> On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 06:37:43AM +0100, Philip Hands wrote:
>> Kees Cook <kees@debian.org> writes:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I'm still trying to get PSU nailed down as far as what they can provide
>> > (though I have a good idea based on other events and people). It will be a
>> > class B IPv4 network to wired ports in our conference rooms.
>> >
>> > This means we need to supply everything else (WAPs, switches, etc). I
>> > figure we'll need at least 3 WAPs in the conference area itself, and
>> > similarly one for each of the hack rooms. What kind of switch density is
>> > needed in the hack rooms?
>>
>> When you say "similarly", do you mean 3 each per hacklab, or just one?
>> (we've generally used more than one per room if we have the chance, but
>> that depends on the number of people you're expecting in each room, and
>> how close the rooms are together etc. -- none of which I know).
>
> One is probably not enough -- I was being optimistic. If you've used 2
> before, that should be our minimum.

You can see the list of AP used at DC12 here:
https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf12/Wireless

We had 3 APs in the bigger hacklab, 2 in the smaller one, 3 in the
smaller talk room and 4 in the big auditorium. All the network was on
the same ethernet segment. We initially had some doubt if that would be
a good idea (because of broadcast traffic, ie ARP), but it was not a
problem. We used VLANs to separate the network for the participants from
the one for the Video Team. So that there is a smaller chance that any
rogue device can bring down the Video Team network.

The videoteam had their own devices with the wirless turned off. These
were also managed by the network team and used to "untag" the VLANs.

All devices were flashed with OpenWRT. This is quite practical for two
reasons (beside the fact that its Free Software ;-)):
- It's easier to deploy identical configuraitons as you can copy around
  configuration files and don't have to click through a web interface.
- You can configure different VLANs and trunk ports on the built in
  Switch of the APs. Most consumer grade APs are not VLAN capable.

At the central switch I would advise to have a Switch which can detect
network loops and shut down ports if a loop is detected. This saved us
in one occasion. It's really easy to create a loop if there is a mess of
cables on a table.

>> > Besides zobel, who can help me get things configured?
>>
>> I've not yet got as far as booking flights, but assuming that I'm
>> coming, I'll be turning up early and may have some time between doing
>> video-setup.
>
> Great! I'll add you to the list. :)

If I make it to Portland I can certainly come a few days earlier and
help with network setup if needed. I'm not sure yet if I can make it at
all though.

Gaudenz

--
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.