Re: [Debconf-team] Code of Conduct

Hi

martin f krafft <madduck@debconf.org> writes:

> Dear Rhonda,
>
> If you disagree with the currently proposed code of conduct, please
> submit an alternative version, or a diff. You know the rules.
>
> On the necessity of a code of conduct for the conference:
>
> I am myself not a friend of over-regulation, but sometimes it just
> makes sense to regulate. If everyone lived by the Ten Commendments
> (or your cultural equivalent thereof), we wouldn't need the law at
> all. Yet, it's been demonstrated over thousands of years that
> agreeing on guidelines *before* conflict is preferable than trying
> to reach common ground again after conflict arose.
>
> I do not see *at all* how the proposed code of conduct could hurt
> anyone, or DebConf, and if it enables people who otherwise wouldn't
> join, then we have succeeded.
>
> To object to a code of conduct saying that it patronises, or for
> fear of being chastised is IMHO either just troublemaking, or you
> may find yourself already breaching the proposed code.

I'm not sure I fully understand what you are trying to say above. IMO
both Enrico and Rhonda have given reasonable arguments why they don't
like the proposed code of conduct. If these arguments are already
considered troublemaking or violating the CoC, then I don't see how we
can have a discussion about this proposal at all. Please assume good
faith on all sides of the discussion.

> Put differently: I have *serious* difficulty understanding Enrico's
> and your objections, at least while you are claiming that
> introducing this code of conduct would affect your participation at
> DebConf.

I sympathize with Enricos point (as I understand it) that the more
explicit rules you write down, the less people are encouraged to think
for themselves and do their own judgment. The proposed CoC is much more
verbose than the one we had in the past, without (at least IMO) saying
much more in essence. Saying too much in too much detail can as well
lead to endless arguments, similar to not having rules at all.

I prefer the wording we had for DC13 over the current proposal:

****

Anti-harrassment

DebConf is committed to a safe environment for all participants. All
attendees are expected to treat all people and facilities with respect
and help create a welcoming environment. If you notice behavior that
fails to meet this standard, please speak up and help to keep DebConf as
respectful as we expect it to be.

If you are harassed and requests to stop are not successful, or notice a
disrespectful environment, the organizers want to help. Please contact
us at antiharassment@debian.org. We will treat your request with dignity
and confidentiality, investigate, and take whatever actions appropriate.
We can provide information on security, emergency services,
transportation, alternative accommodations, or whatever else may be
necessary. If mediation is not successful, DebConf reserves the right to
to take action against those who do not cease unacceptable behavior.

****

Maybe change the title to "Code of Conduct" if that is prefered and
maybe add a link or the full text of the Debian diversity statement as a
first or last paragraph.

Gaudenz

--
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.