Re: [Debconf-team] Code of Conduct

Dear Rhonda,

If you disagree with the currently proposed code of conduct, please
submit an alternative version, or a diff. You know the rules.

On the necessity of a code of conduct for the conference:

I am myself not a friend of over-regulation, but sometimes it just
makes sense to regulate. If everyone lived by the Ten Commendments
(or your cultural equivalent thereof), we wouldn't need the law at
all. Yet, it's been demonstrated over thousands of years that
agreeing on guidelines *before* conflict is preferable than trying
to reach common ground again after conflict arose.

I do not see *at all* how the proposed code of conduct could hurt
anyone, or DebConf, and if it enables people who otherwise wouldn't
join, then we have succeeded.

To object to a code of conduct saying that it patronises, or for
fear of being chastised is IMHO either just troublemaking, or you
may find yourself already breaching the proposed code.

Put differently: I have *serious* difficulty understanding Enrico's
and your objections, at least while you are claiming that
introducing this code of conduct would affect your participation at
DebConf.

The organisers of DebConf already have the power to kick out anyone,
whether that's written down anywhere or not. A code of conduct
merely helps to align expectations. It gives examples of misconduct,
but it does not say that you are free to do anything (else) you
like.

It sketches a picture of what is unacceptable behaviour, and you can
be sure that when such misconduct is reported to the organisers, we
will take it seriously and we will push appropriate consequences.

Having a code of conduct in place means that generally, we'll be
able to act much faster, should the need arise.

So, please, help us make the current proposal better, but please
don't tell us all the things you think are wrong with it.

--
 .''`.   martin f. krafft <madduck@debconf.org>
: :'  :  DebConf orga team