Re: [Debconf-team] Migrating infrastructure from svn to Git

Hi

Thanks to Richard for taking up this task.

> Dear all,
>

> there seems to be very strong consensus to move from svn to Git. If
> you object, voice your concerns _now_.
>
> I hear gaudenz has been investigating this in the past; hearing from
> him would be appreciated.

It might be good to reread the discussion we had about the migration in
2012 when I pushed for this. It starts here:
http://lists.debconf.org/lurker/message/20120707.194910.e3d84325.en.html

This message reflects the latest status:
http://lists.debconf.org/lurker/message/20120722.215032.5c60627b.en.html

On a technical level the conversion was relatively easy. A tarball of
the scripts I used is attached. I'm also willing to continue the
technical part of the conversion myself.

Rereading the mail thread I see some opposition to the migration on the
ground that SVN has served us well and git it's advantage is more with
code than just "documents" that don't need branching and local repos.
But nobody was fundamentally against the migration and nobody opposed to
the proposed solution. So it probably just was not done because the last
mail was at the time when more urgent things regarding DC13 started to
happen and not because of some fundamental problem.

Gaudenz