Re: [Debconf-team] DC14: parallel activities for families with kids

On 08/22/2013 04:59 AM, Hector Oron wrote:

DebConf could provide information to gather that group and enable them
with space and tools to self-organize themselves.

Not sure it counts as a global agreement, but I think we are pretty
much in-line. As an action for this thread to no evaporize I would
propose to set goals, and plan & schedule to accomplish those goals.

BTW, from the other DebConfs:

- "We are not a travel agency" (from this thread it seems that few people want a 100% organization and alternate activities for families) [NOTE: not-a-travel-agency is a global debconf rule, not only for families]

- Families requests and information happen at busy organizing time, when organizers have few time, so families need pass to second level.

- some families have strange requests, they don't care about the answers and tend to do what they like (also if we say NO!). I don't know why, but this mostly happens with families and seldom with other attendees [accompanying person not used on Debian conduct??? Children take out all of attendee patience???]. [BTW it was mostly in DC12, also because DC13 was not very suited for children (but babies)]

- Costs: there are strict rules about prices in venues, also for children in CH and I think also in US. Additionally, families are exceptions (so poor penta users) so usually the prices are not discussed with venues (also because "we are not a travel agency" we don't ask for special prices. Thus debconf costs are much higher than we prices we could ask to families.

For these reasons, I think that families issues should be handled by a special team (outside core team), who should have more time and resources (also during DebConf) than core team.

[The above problem are only organizational problems, so they are simple to solve, but it take huge amount of time and patience. Organizers usually lack these resources during and before DebConf]

ciao
	cate