Re: [Debconf-team] Network at Le Camp and a few questions to those who previously did the network at DebConf

Hi Phil,

On Mon, Jul 08, 2013 at 08:33:29PM +0100, Philip Hands wrote:
> > We may also need some WiFi to ethernet bridges for one or two
> > hacklabs, i.e. devices whose upstream connection is wireless and which
> > provide ethernet connection to other devices. (The alterntive option
> > is to pull our own cables to these buildings. We do have the ok for
> > that by Mr. Pianaro, but I think they expect us to take care to not
> > build up any tripping hazards. ;-)
>
> Are you talking about when we only have a small portion of the site in
> DebCamp, and saying that the portion we have then will be hard to wire?
> or is this for DebConf proper as well?

Not sure, if I got your question is right.

Two hacklabs without (LeCamp provided) wired connection are by
accident two hacklabls which are already available during DebCamp.

IIRC the current plan is though to have a third hacklab in Bâtiment
principal also during DebCamp already, so there will be at least one
hacklab with wired connection from the beginning. (Well, we'll likely
need to do one patch on the patch panel to get it working, but I don't
consider this an issue.)

> If there's any possibility whatsoever of running a cable, even if it
> involves going a very long route and putting an extra router in to get
> the distance, or going over rooftops, probably even digging trenches
> across paths, whatever, expect the network folk to strongly prefer wire.

Ok, thanks for this very clear statement! Will do. :-)

And forget the WiFi-back-to-ethernet thingy I talked about. :-)

I already checked our options for wired connections with the ISP and
the person from the ISP who was with us at LeCamp today, said, they can
provide the cables for such distances (and IIRC they also offered to
lend us a bunch of decommissioned switches).

Will check the details with the ISP.

> We've been pretty good at avoiding trip hazards over the years, so I'd
> guess we'll find a way.

Right. Indoors I remember a lot of gaffer tape on the floor of the
hacklabs. :-)

> If the problem is that we're not going to be allowed to do any of that
> until DebConf proper starts,

I think that's not a problem. Mr. Pianaro seemed rather surprised
about my question. I suspected potential safety issues, but his answer
was IIRC more or less "As long as we don't break their non-public
office LAN, all network-ish stuff is fine".

		Kind regards, Axel
\ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and News            | abe@deuxchevaux.org  (Mail)
 X   See http://www.asciiribbon.org/              | abe@noone.org (Mail+Jabber)
/ \  I love long mails: http://email.is-not-s.ms/ | http://noone.org/abe/ (Web)