Re: [Debconf-team] Network at Le Camp and a few questions to those who previously did the network at DebConf

Axel Beckert <abe@deuxchevaux.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> most of the network at Le Camp looks better than feared. (Well, they
> actually built up that infrastructure because of us.)
>
> We've got a very helpful and cooperative (and partially federal :-)
> ISP and they can give us a globally routed /22 IPv4 IP range without
> firewall or NAT. The connection to Le Camp is 100 MBit/s symmetric
> over fibre. We can also lend additional (long) ethernet cables and
> switches from the ISP at no additional cost for the time of the
> conference.
>
> I want that /22 for general access to the internet. We also plan a
> separate (V)LAN for the video team.
>
> So my questions to the video team:
>
> * Does the video team network needs to be globally routed?
> * How many IPs does the video team need?
>
> The ISP though doesn't yet offer IPv6. So we'll need a tunnel. So my
> questions to the team members who handled network at Debconfs before:
>
> * How have IPv6 tunnels been handled before at DebConfs?
> * Do we have "our own" tunnel and tunnel broker or at least a
>   preferred tunnel broker for that? (If not, I'd take SixXS.)
>
> Some of the houses only have wireless connection though (via wireless
> bridges / a mesh network), especially those which we have during
> DebCamp. The WiFi is managed centrally by the ISP. But they'll switch
> it from the current open network with captive portal (landing page) to
> a WPA secured network with our own ESSID during DebConf.
>
> A participant of the current event at Le Camp who recognized the
> Debian swirl on my t-shirt :-) told me though that the WiFi is
> partially quite flakey and you get disconnected often. Actually it
> happened to me, too, several times while writing this mail over
> SSH/Mosh. But I'm sitting also downstairs while the WiFi antennas in
> the main building are upstairs.
>
> We may also need some WiFi to ethernet bridges for one or two
> hacklabs, i.e. devices whose upstream connection is wireless and which
> provide ethernet connection to other devices. (The alterntive option
> is to pull our own cables to these buildings. We do have the ok for
> that by Mr. Pianaro, but I think they expect us to take care to not
> build up any tripping hazards. ;-)

Are you talking about when we only have a small portion of the site in
DebCamp, and saying that the portion we have then will be hard to wire?
or is this for DebConf proper as well?

If there's any possibility whatsoever of running a cable, even if it
involves going a very long route and putting an extra router in to get
the distance, or going over rooftops, probably even digging trenches
across paths, whatever, expect the network folk to strongly prefer wire.

We've been pretty good at avoiding trip hazards over the years, so I'd
guess we'll find a way.

If the problem is that we're not going to be allowed to do any of that
until DebConf proper starts, well, I can understand them saying that now
because of the other guests, but really, we should be able to do it and
keep everyone cheerful if past experience is anything to go by.  It's
probably not worth asking permission now (much better to ask at the
time, or perhaps ask for forgiveness after we've done a surprisingly
good job :-) )

Cheers, Phil.