[Debconf-team] [tmancill@debian.org: Re: Sponsorship brochure modification]

(resend with the correct debconf-team address)

Hi Raphael,

On 11/03/2013 03:05 AM, Raphaël Walther wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I added debconf-team in CC.
>
> Thanks for writing and for the good work! I have read the sponsorship brochure again.
>
> I have a few comments which are mostly details.
>
> 1) page 3
> DebConf and Debian
> The Bigger Picture
>
> There is an issue with DebConf6 which is separated on two line and has an hyphen:
> This is the kind of peer-to-peer networking that makes open source conferences like De-
> bConf6 worthwhile.

Thank you for noticing this.  I have fixed the overzealous break and
several others - for example, there's no need for LaTeX to ever
hyphenate "Debian."

In addition, there was a spelling error that Steve caught, and then
another that I found that are corrected in the next version.  I updated
the exact attendance numbers and budget for DebConf13 that appears on
page 2 as we discussed in private email.

The "Debian Annual Conference" subsection on page 2 contains an explicit
reference to DebConf13 attendance.  The previous text there was:

  DebConf13 had proximately 300 attendees from more than 50 different
  countries.

And is now:

  DebConf13 accommodated 320 attendees from more than 50 different
  countries, with a budget of about $265,000 USD.

The subsection you originally suggested a modification to is "The Need
for Sponsorship" (on page 6), which I understand as referring to average
attendance and expenditure and is specific to DebConf13.  [That is, see
below.]

> 2) I am concerned about these details at the end:
>
> "DebConf has evolved from humble beginnings in Bordeaux,
> France in 2000 with 30 attendees and virtually no budget, to recent years where we accommodate
> an average of 250 attendees, with a budget of around $230,000 USD."
>
> My question is where this 250 come from ? Is it the average of attendance of last few years ?
>
> My second question is where this USD 230'000 come from ?
>
> I have just check it was also in the brochure of DC13. For me these number are
> wrong and difficult to understand.

I didn't make up the numbers; as you said, they were in the DC13
brochure.  My assumption is that they are averages over "recent years."
 If someone can provide me information about provenance, I'll update the
comments in the document source.  If someone has another set of numbers,
please provide them, but be aware that fund-raising team is expecting
this document to be ready, so time is of the essence.   Otherwise, I
think we should assume that they are not wildly inaccurate or
mis-representative, and use them.

> 3) The brochure size is 1.5 Mo. Would it be possible to make it lighter ? Last
> year we had a 0.7 Mo brochure.
>
> What do you think ?

My initial attempts with qpdf, pdftk, and the usual ghostscript
transformations resulted in either the same size or larger files.  The
DC13_Group_Picture is by far the heaviest component, so I have reduced
the resolution to a point where it still looks okay, and the resulting
PDF is now about 600kB.  I don't really see the point in spending a lot
of time to decrease the size of the brochure further unless there is a
technical problem.

One more change in this version - I made the name of the magazine more
generic as Brian Gupta had suggested on Oct 29.

Old text:

  Logo in full-page ``Thank you!'' advertisement in Linux Magazine,
  worldwide

New text:

  Logo in full-page ``Thank you!'' advertisement in a well-known Linux
  periodical

Thank you,
tony

Updated version: