Re: [Debconf-team] Lanyards, badge holders and badges

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 01:14:29PM -0700, Patty Langasek wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 03:59:58PM -0400, Tiago Bortoletto Vaz wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 09:14:51PM +0200, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
> > > a) Lanyards
>
> > As I've said on IRC, if the sponsors team decide to do a last minute promotion
> > for a given sponsor I'd accept it, but personally I think this is not the best
> > option at all. Given that branded-colored lanyards draw much attention I know
> > many people who won't be happy using it, mainly if it has
> > Ubuntu
>
> Or Intel. There would be Options.
>
> > printed on it.
>
> I'd like to, again, note that this was not a suggestion by either sponsor,
> and neither sponsor is trying to get a higher sponsorship level with this.
> This was an attempt by me to save the DebConf organization some money since
> previous discussions of cost on various issues have caused anxiety.
>
> This is one of the things that I don't consider worth spending another 1000
> CHF on, especially considering other things we have chosen, as a team, to
> not spend money on.
>
> > So I'd leave this option as something option in the frontdesk for those who
> > want to take one.
>
> > There's an option raised by hug which would cost about CHF 700 to make it in
> > time (CHF 2.46 per lanyard). They would be custom Debian lanyards with up to 4
> > colors. We could even make a bit more for selling (?) I think it's very
> > valuable, since people use to save them to use in many others events, promoting
> > the project in some way. I've experienced that in Brazil for many years and I
> > still have mine. See an example (not me in the picture):
> > http://www.flickr.com/photos/beraldoleal/5898404742/lightbox/
>
> And this would be a great option, if we didn't have other budget concerns
> and arguments as is. I, personally, feel a good conference dinner and day

I also prefer a good conference dinner and day than a fancy lanyard, but I'd go
without a luxurious dinner in a boat to save ~15k, as I've advocated to save
~5k on dishwashing. I would also be happy saving ~CHF700 on lanyards, but I
think it's something that doesn't hurt the budget too much, mainly when
considering the total price x benefits for the conference.

> trip is much more valuable than a lanyard. I, also, have a Debian lanyard
> from Brazil (somewhere in my house) that I've kept, but those were planned
> for and budgeted into DC4, which is not the case here.

As I remember it was not in the DC4 budget, we had very cheap ones for that
conference. I'm pretty sure it was an initiative from Debian-Brasil people.

> I think having them available for sale at the conference is worthy, and
> people could certainly buy one for 5 CHF (or whatever) if they'd prefer to
> have that over one of the "free" (yes, free. Logo or not, they cost the
> attendees nothing.) lanyards.

gratis for promoting, a 'freeware' I'd say :)

> But, I don't think we should expect everyone
> to purchase one either. I think this is an acceptable thing to have *in
> addition to the complimentarily provided lanyards*, but not something to
> expect attendees to purchase to be able to display their badges, nor the
> only option available.

All these priorities are very personal, so I don't think it worths to argue too
much here, mainly considering that we are all trying to provide the best for
our beloved debian people. Let's try to reach a consensus as we have done for
other money issues. I keep thinking that such last minute promotion is a
sensible decision to be made just for saving a little money. I'd like to hear
from other people.

Regards,

  .''`.  Tiago Vaz                                    GPG  :      1024D/A504FECA
 : :' :  http://acaia.ca/~tiago                       XMPP : tiago at jabber.org
 `. `'   tiago at debian.org                          IRC  :       tiago at OFTC
   `-    Debian GNU/Linux - The Universal OS               http://www.debian.org