Re: [Debconf-team] Lanyards, badge holders and badges

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 09:14:51PM +0200, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> following up on the discussion that happenned today on IRC, let me try
> to sommarize its origin and outcomes.
>
> The situation is that we need attendee badges for all sorts of reasons
> and the usual way to do that has been that the conference would provide
> these individual badges, the badges holders and lanyards (usually). As
> these three things are separate, let's try to keep them so.
>
> a) Lanyards
>
> One of our silver sponsors is apparently happy to provide enough branded
> (not Debian-branded, sponsor-branded) lanyards for everyone, for free.
> Given that they are a sponsor already, I think it's sane to let them
> provide the lanyards to the DebConf attendees. For reference, a similar
> offer has been made by a Bronze sponsor.
>
> 	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lanyard#Badge_or_identification_holder

As I've said on IRC, if the sponsors team decide to do a last minute promotion
for a given sponsor I'd accept it, but personally I think this is not the best
option at all. Given that branded-colored lanyards draw much attention I know
many people who won't be happy using it, mainly if it has Ubuntu printed on it.
So I'd leave this option as something option in the frontdesk for those who
want to take one.

There's an option raised by hug which would cost about CHF 700 to make it in
time (CHF 2.46 per lanyard). They would be custom Debian lanyards with up to 4
colors. We could even make a bit more for selling (?) I think it's very
valuable, since people use to save them to use in many others events, promoting
the project in some way. I've experienced that in Brazil for many years and I
still have mine. See an example (not me in the picture):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/beraldoleal/5898404742/lightbox/

> b) Badge holders
>
> The current idea is to buy 300 A7 badge holders from Roscheba [0], for
> roughly 126€, aka 160 CHF.
>
> [0] http://www.roscheba.de/product_info.php?info=p116
>
> Apparently Holger might have a cheaper solution; Holger?

Sounds good, and yes, it seems Holger has a cheaper option.

> c) Individual badges
>
> There are roughly two solutions there: strong credit-card format  or
> paperboard. One concern that was rised was that it mattered to have two-
> sided badges
>
> Credit-card format: A Bronze sponsor is proposing us 0.30 CHF/item for
> one-sided black&white, or 0.65 CHF/item for one-sided colour.
>
> Paperboard: If we fold A6 in two, we can do 4 double-sided badges per A4
> sheet printed only on one side (or 8 double-sided badges if we print on
> two sides, but it's trickier to succeed). The printing of such A4 sheets
> (that we can then cut ourselves) is likely to be around 30 CHF/item.
>
> I suggest to go with the second possibility.

+1.

> d) Design
>
> I intend to work on three generic designs: Organiser, Staff and
> Attendee, but the final layout will depend on the shape selected in c),
> above. AFAIK there was no personalisation used: photo and informations
> from penta, right?

I wouldn't trust penta for photos. Maybe name + nickname or email. We had
country in the past, but I'm not sure if we want it.

Regards,

  .''`.  Tiago Vaz                                    GPG  :      1024D/A504FECA
 : :' :  http://acaia.ca/~tiago                       XMPP : tiago at jabber.org
 `. `'   tiago at debian.org                          IRC  :       tiago at OFTC
   `-    Debian GNU/Linux - The Universal OS               http://www.debian.org