Re: [Debconf-team] Day Trip - please comment

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 12:08:31PM +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
> On Donnerstag, 18. Juli 2013, Aigars Mahinovs wrote:
> > > I like your idea but we need to find a solution to alocate people to the
> > > different coaches.
>
> Just let the people build up queues in front of the busses...

And what if the first is almost empty and the last has 100 persons for a 75
persons coach (i had this experience already).

> > The simplest solution (algorithmically)
>
> I believe the above is simpler :)
>
> > would be to have a bunch of seat
> > cards printed with bus number and departure time on them, equal to number
> > of seats on the buses. Then distribute those among the trip goers and leave
> > the surplus with the organizers. So people willing to go earlier (or later)
> > could just exchange seat cards with other people with opposite preference
> > (or with organizers, if there are still empty seats).
>
> right and then (some/too many) people will still not show up at the bus for
> which they have a card and then reshuffling will begin as well. So more work
> for no gain.

If they don't show up then they are on their own: public transport or taxi.

Well, I like the idea of the tickets. It needs a little bit of administrative
work, printing tickets, giving them to attendees and then the bus driver will
check them but then it is quite a flexible system which allow last minute swap
for attendees. Aigars, do you have already a real experience with that system
you could share with us ?

Cheers,
Raphaël