Re: [Debconf-team] Urgent: Dishwashing & Cleaning

On Tue, Jul 09, 2013 at 02:14:50AM +0100, Moray Allan wrote:
> On 2013-07-08 21:20, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
> >IMO the way to go is that before tomorrows meeting we need to find
> >enough persons willing to organize the dishwashing by volunteers
> >and who
> >are commited enough that in case of failure they are ready to do the
> >unstaffed shifts themselves.
>
> I'd emphasise that a bit more: those advocating the volunteer route
> should genuinely accept that if there are not sufficient other
> volunteers, they may need to do many long dishwashing shifts
> themselves. Including when they get people to sign up for a slot but
> those people fail to actually turn up for it, or when those people
> wander off before the job is done.

We've been done this for other not-so-funny tasks, so I think such instructions
don't need too much emphasis. We're all adults and we have a few </ironic>
experience as volunteers, right?

> I don't think it's reasonable for us to unduly hassle attendees
> towards helping on this, or to try to make it a condition of
> attending or of sponsorship, especially at this late stage.  Some
> advertising of the possibility of helping would of course be fine,
> like for the video team or for front desk.  But people who are
> signing themselves up to the "use volunteers" side need to be ready
> to check each shift that there really are sufficient people working
> throughout the shift, and to do it themselves if there aren't,
> without getting upset if they end up needing to do it themselves for
> many shifts.

Hey, of course we have the right to get upset, I didn't get your point here.
Being upset doesn't mean we won't do the job (see Holger in videoteam :). But
well, by reading such discouraging messages I start thinking it may be better
to switch to the old-fa$hioned solution and forget about this utopian
community-oriented attempt of saving a mere five thousand dollars for nothing.

Regards,

  .''`.  Tiago Vaz                                    GPG  :      1024D/A504FECA
 : :' :  http://acaia.ca/~tiago                       XMPP : tiago at jabber.org
 `. `'   tiago at debian.org                          IRC  :       tiago at OFTC
   `-    Debian GNU/Linux - The Universal OS               http://www.debian.org