Re: [Debconf-team] T-Shirts printing in Mexico

Hi,

I assumed we only needed to send over the USD 1491 and pay the shipping company directly. Of which 4% is around USD 58.
But this was just a worst case assumption to be on the safe side (e.g. if we have to pay by credit card fee + the exchange fee to peso)
Actual cost should be lower.

Philipp

On Jun 6, 2013 5:30 AM, "Philip Hands" <phil@hands.com> wrote:
Philipp Hug <debian@hug.cx> writes:

> Hi,
>
>>      Plus shipping. As always, I quoted with UPS for you to have an
>> >      idea, but it can be via any courier service of your choice: US$1169
>> >      to US$1239.44 (attaching a PDF with the options in case you want to
>> >      look for other companies).
>>
>> However, what strikes me is that we will pay almost the same price for
>> shipping ($3.10 per T-Shirt), excluding the carbon footprint.
>>
>> FTR, the *delivered* price for one T-Shirt is 6.78USD = 5.18EUR =
>> 6.43CHF, according to today's rate exchange:
>>

> Please don't forget money transfer costs, import duty, VAT and customs
> handling.
> For T-Shirts the one of the following tariffs is relevant:
> 6109.1 (cotton T-Shirts) and 6109.9 (T-Shirts of other materials)
> Default rate is CHF 152 / 100kg, but fortunately we have a free trade
> agreement with Mexico (through EFTA) which means: import duty: 0
>
> But you have to add 8% on the total amount (T-Shirts + shipping) + handling
> fee for import which you pay to shipping company which should be around CHF
> 50.
>
> So: T-Shirts + Shipping + VAT is:
> USD 1461 + USD 1169 + USD 210 (VAT) = USD 2840 = CHF 2674
>
> And adding customs handling fee + money transfer/conversion costs (assuming
> 4%): CHF 50 + CHF 40
> Total: CHF2764
> per shirt: CHF 6.91

4% of 2840 is 114 USD, or of 2674 is 107 CHF, so I don't quite follow
your maths.

If it's really going to cost that much (i.e. 100*) then I'm sure we can
do better using informal methods (i.e. offering to buy dollars from
one/some of our friends in return for CHF spending money when they turn
up for DC13 ... or failing that, bitcoin).

Cheers, Phil.
--
|-|  HANDS.COM Ltd.                    http://www.uk.debian.org/