Re: [Debconf-team] PayPal donations, and fees

On Mar 31, 2013 2:59 PM, "David Prévot" <david@tilapin.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Le 31/03/2013 14:19, Brian Gupta a écrit :
> > Let's not lose sight of the fact that these donations will be matched
>
> That’s only true unless we do not raise over the 5000 $ limit (thus the
> encouragement to “include on this page (or link to) the amount of money
> already raised.”)

Fair enough. The sponsors team has committed to weekly reporting. I'm traveling today, and won't be home till Monday evening, but I'll see if a summary can be added to the page. We'll be very lucky/blessed if we can raise the full $5000 amount from individuals, and I would consider it a resounding success if we did. If we do raise $5000 before the end of April, I'd hope we could look to see if any other sponsors wish to join the matching pool. (This is the first time we have tried this, so please bear in mind this is an experiment that could shape future fundraising efforts.)

> > even though so small percentage of the donations will be eaten in fees
>
> Providing 3 % of (over) 5000 $ to a specific bank like company does not
> seems so small to me, and I’m not sure Debian should encourage the use
> of this kind of service without at least proposing an alternative.

One note for background, this fundraising drive was initially conceived as a US only effort, and thus Paypal made a lot of sense, since the majority of US residents have Paypal accounts, and we wanted to make it as easy as possible for people to donate. It was only shortly before we launched that the question came up if it could be extended worldwide. The decision was that as long as the donations were denominated in USD that this would be fine. (Since the matching fund was funded in USD, and the criteria specified were based on USD donation amounts.)

Please bear in mind that no matter what there are transaction fees. Also assuming donations in the $5-100 range thats between 50 and 1000 individual transactions that would have to be manually processed if an automated system like Paypal were not used. I'm not 100% sure if processing these manually is necessarily the best use of the time of the sponsors-team, but I leave that to the team consensus. (Perhaps there are options we missed?)

That said, we are working on an alternative for Paypal for those countries that don't allow use of Paypal, so we'll see if we can extend this as option for those that are in a country that allows Paypal use, but are opposed to using it. (Bear in mind this may incur higher transaction costs, and may make the progress reports less timely.)

-Brian

P.S. - I'd be curious to hear what specific opposition people have to Paypal, as my understanding is the FSF uses Paypal to accept donations, and has worked with them in the past to make their service more friendly to the Free Software community[1].

[1] - http://www.fsf.org/news/paypal