Re: [Debconf-team] PayPal donations, and fees

Let's not lose sight of the fact that these donations will be matched so even though so small percentage of the donations will be eaten in fees, the net contribution to Debian will be on the order of 197% of what one pays.

On Mar 31, 2013 12:01 PM, "Moray Allan" <moray@sermisy.org> wrote:
On 2013-03-30 07:09, David Prévot wrote:
Could we know the amount of money (percentage) that will be “donated“ to
PayPal on behalf of the matching fund initiative.

I mean, on top of the conversion fee: is it something like 3 % ?

I try to avoid using Paypal myself for reasons unrelated to their fees, so I am no expert, but this page seems to give their fees:

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/merchant-fees
2.9% + $0.30 per transaction, before discounts.
"International Sales: 3.9% transaction fee plus a fixed fee based on currency received."

However, your message seems to imply that other methods of donation don't carry equivalent fees, which unfortunately they do.

e.g. http://www.spi-inc.org/projects/associated-project-howto/
"All transaction costs (such as the 4.5% for credit cards, and wire transfer fees) are deducted from the contribution.  5% of the remainder is deducted for SPI overhead, primarily accounting, photocopying and postage.  The remaining money is held in trust for the project."

These fees are shown in the SPI Treasurer's reports, e.g.
http://lists.spi-inc.org/pipermail/spi-general/2013-March/003171.html

"       Debian
          Debit Card Fee              3.00
          Processing Fees            31.83
          SPI 5%                     39.93"

The debit card plus processing fees there seem to sum to about 4.4%, meaning that 9.4% of the donated amounts didn't reach Debian, using non-Paypal payment methods.

--
Moray