Re: [Debconf-team] pycon & how we all lost

On 25/03/13 10:14, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> FYI: http://amandablumwords.wordpress.com/2013/03/21/3/

Holger, do you think there is any suggestions for DebConf in this?

My own observations:

- PyCon's brief statement shortly after the incident was one of the more
rational and balanced outcomes

- the existence of PyCon's policy on such things was a useful reference
point (even quoted in an apology), suggesting such policies are
worthwhile even if they feel impractical to police

- personally, despite all the focus on our male dominated industry, I
don't think this is unique to the dev community.  Adria, or somebody
with strong feelings about these issues, could have responded in a
similar way to a similar incident on the bus or at a restaurant or some
other public place.

I don't think the conclusion "we all lost" is a good one, I think the
future is what we make of it.