Re: [Debconf-team] [DC14] Portland team: DebConf in the USA

On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 06:27:30PM +0100, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> My own feeling: countries like the US and Australia shouldn't bother
> holding major events like DebConf ...

The visas and border problems are not limited to US and Australia
and what we have to check every year is we have the resources to
help the people in the best way possible. This also means sometimes
sponsoring visas processes when they're expensive.

Back in DC6, IIRC brazilians had a bad time to get their visas. Moray spent
a quite amount of time helping people when DC7. I don't remember anything
about DC8, but that doesn't mean nothing happened. In Dc9, I know government
invitations were issued and sent by post mail. In DC10, there was an email
alias with a lawyer specialized on this reading behind. Ask to our taiwanese
contributors about DC11... etc