Re: [Debconf-team] Call for volunteers to join DebConf Committee

Steve Langasek dijo [Fri, Mar 08, 2013 at 12:39:34PM -0800]:
> > Similarly, I'm not sure enough both that I'd be unbiased and that everyone
> > would believe it if my home country's bid gets picked, so I won't serve on
> > the DC14 selection committee.  No need for bad feelings or worse.  We
> > probably shouldn't have bid-country members on any year's selection
> > committee, speaking generally, unless they're meant to represent the bid
> > or deciding between two same-country bids.
>
> While I myself would certainly not volunteer to be on the committee due to
> my direct involvement in the DC14 Portland bid, I think it would be absurd
> to exclude all Americans from the committee merely on the grounds that
> there's a bid in the US.  Nearly 20% of all active DDs are based in the
> US[1]; they shouldn't be excluded from having their preferences represented
> in the DebConf decision just because that preference might happen to be
> predictable!  The same goes for Germany, France, England, Japan, or any of
> the other countries where we have large DD populations.
>
> The DC14 selection committee is, well, a committee; and the best way to
> handle biases in a committee where majority rules is not by trying to make
> sure nobody with a bias is part of it, but by making sure the biases of the
> project as a whole are fairly represented on the committee.

FWIW, I am completely with Steve on this. Also, not being from a
bidding country does not make others any more objective. I have
refrained from voting in some discussions in the past because I didn't
feel I was neutral.

Jimmy, I think that, mainly given your history (that has been of a
long-term involvement), if you want to be a part of the team and
commit the (not so much) time, you are entitled to. Of course, if you
prefer to pass this time, it's also completely fine.