Re: [Debconf-team] Call for volunteers to join DebConf Committee

On Fri, Mar 08, 2013 at 11:18:36AM -0500, Jimmy Kaplowitz wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 08, 2013 at 04:15:40PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 08, 2013 at 12:11:59PM +0200, Lior Kaplan wrote:
> > > I'll be happy to help... Although take into consideration I might not be
> > > able to attend Debconf 2014 (depends on location).

> > I would join as well but having a similar problem like Lior I'm afraid I
> > might be biased and thus I hesitate to join for the 2014 bid.  You might
> > put me on a waiting list for 2015.

> Similarly, I'm not sure enough both that I'd be unbiased and that everyone
> would believe it if my home country's bid gets picked, so I won't serve on
> the DC14 selection committee.  No need for bad feelings or worse.  We
> probably shouldn't have bid-country members on any year's selection
> committee, speaking generally, unless they're meant to represent the bid
> or deciding between two same-country bids.

While I myself would certainly not volunteer to be on the committee due to
my direct involvement in the DC14 Portland bid, I think it would be absurd
to exclude all Americans from the committee merely on the grounds that
there's a bid in the US.  Nearly 20% of all active DDs are based in the
US[1]; they shouldn't be excluded from having their preferences represented
in the DebConf decision just because that preference might happen to be
predictable!  The same goes for Germany, France, England, Japan, or any of
the other countries where we have large DD populations.

The DC14 selection committee is, well, a committee; and the best way to
handle biases in a committee where majority rules is not by trying to make
sure nobody with a bias is part of it, but by making sure the biases of the
project as a whole are fairly represented on the committee.

[1] http://www.perrier.eu.org/weblog/2012/06/06