Re: [Debconf-team] Online rooms booking systems

On 28.01.2013 23:37, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:

Manual room assignment
+ Very flexible
+ Already tried and working (but not for a venue like Le Camp with
   different room categories)
- A lot of work

Not really: there are few rooms and in this case we should not minimize also the costs (the number of rooms to be used).

I think most of work (which is independent to the method) is to define and clarify to attendees what they are booking, and to be sure that they select the right category in the booking system/penta/frab.
And this worry me more than manual vs. booking system.

- Errors will happen and people might get angry

Right, but usually we send the list of roommates (usually together with other information that attendee should check), so last minute changes are possible. Note: Also with the booking system we should send the details before the DebConf and eventually doing last changes manually (with or without booking system, but changes restricted to the relevant team).

IMO we should go to the manual method (for this debconf), because it is easier, quickier and we have still frab to set up. For next DebConf (if we finally deploy frab), we can go with the booking system. Obviously, if someone has time to setup a booking system in time (without delaying frab development) I would be also happy.

ciao
	cate