Re: [Debconf-team] DebConf13 local organization

On 31/10/12 13:31, Richard Darst wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 01:08:10PM +0100, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>

>>> I had tried to suggest some of the money not go through DC13.ch, but
>>> it seems since DC13.ch is defined as running DebConf13, and Debconf13
>>> is a certain event, that gets legally iffy.
>>>

>> Maybe, but what if SPI had some money and independently decided to pay
>> travel sponsorship for some people?  As that money has no VAT concerns,
>> and if the sponsorship was contemplated actively by the SPI board, there
>> would be no necessity for it to through DC13 would there?
>>
> That's what I hoped would happen, but local team said wouldn't be
> possible due to various reasons.  I recognize that VAT for things
> spent within switzerland may be unavoidable [though, part of the hope
> for a local organization is to be nonprofit to get tax exempt...], but
> it's the necessity of swiss rules for global money that I want to
> point out before it becomes a surprise.

I think SPI paying somebody's air ticket is more like an employer paying
the ticket

If a sponsor gives money to SPI every year, that also suggests the
financial relationship is legitimate and not just some vehicle for
hiding money from the Swiss tax man (although someone competent in Swiss
tax should confirm that)

If DC13 runs at a profit, naturally the Swiss authorities want an honest
share of that paid in taxes.  But as there is currently no suggestion of
such a profit, it is also a hypothetical issue to some extent.

What every country worries about these days is if we sell TV rights in
the US or something like that, send 95% of the money to the Cayman
Islands and only transfer to Switzerland the bare minimum amount of
money to run the event.  That is very different from what is being
discussed though (especially given that nobody would pay for TV
broadcasting rights for an event that can be watched free online)