Re: [Debconf-team] Cost reduction / shortening (was Re: not a registration fee, but...)

Ana Guerrero <ana@debian.org> writes:

> On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 06:59:34PM +0100, Moray Allan wrote:
>>
>> Another point about shortening:
>>
>> It is sad to say it, but it is clear that in most years Debian Day
>> hasn't turned out that well compared to what has been hoped, and
>> compared to the amount of work put into organising it.  It has taken
>> a lot of effort/attention from volunteers, but the attendance has
>> sometimes been very low.  In the last few years we have tried to
>> warn the local team members about this and encourage better
>> advertising longer in advance, but is it time to admit that it just
>> doesn't work well as a job for the DebConf local team or as part of
>> DebConf organisation?
>>

> Agreed, from my perceptions:
>
> 2012 - I watched it via streaming. The rooms were empty despite
> DebianDay being in a big city. I recognised a bunch of Debian people
> in the public.

This year was pitiful TBH -- I did try [perhaps not as diplomatically as
was required :-/] to alert the locals to the danger that it's always
pitiful, but they were worried that too many people would turn up (as
has also been a worry with locals in previous years).

That said, it wasn't helped by the fact that the government apparently
grabbed all the local busses for their own purposes, but there were
students of the university coming up to attendees throughout
Debcamp/conf asking "So, what's going on here?", so a bit more
publicity in the campus might have helped a bit.

If we'd aimed to get the auditorium filled three times over, then if
that had actually happened I'm sure we'd have managed to deal with it
somehow, but that would be a nice problem to have.

Cheers, Phil.