Re: [Debconf-team] Cost reduction / shortening (was Re: not a registration fee, but...)

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 06:59:34PM +0100, Moray Allan wrote:

> Another point about shortening:
>
> It is sad to say it, but it is clear that in most years Debian Day
> hasn't turned out that well compared to what has been hoped, and
> compared to the amount of work put into organising it.  It has taken
> a lot of effort/attention from volunteers, but the attendance has
> sometimes been very low.  In the last few years we have tried to
> warn the local team members about this and encourage better
> advertising longer in advance, but is it time to admit that it just
> doesn't work well as a job for the DebConf local team or as part of
> DebConf organisation?

Agreed, from my perceptions:

2012 - I watched it via streaming. The rooms were empty despite
DebianDay being in a big city. I recognised a bunch of Debian people
in the public.

2011 - I only attended during the morning to the politicans part
and while it was crowded, it was  with debian people mostly.
The talks in the evening were in English so I don't know how much
they were accesible to the locals.

2010 - This Debian Day felt like a normal Debconf day.

2009 - I organized the talks for this day. It was in Spanish.
There were very few attendance. I know the talks have been watched
for a lot of people but they could have been held in a Spanish
Debconf (aka dudesconf) perfectly.

2008 - It was held post-debconf and in Buenos Aires in a Monday.
Most of DebConf attendes were already going back to home.
I have not idea how it went.

2007 - I can't remember about this one.

2006 - I arrived during that day but given how far was Oaxtepec from
Mexico DC I think there weren't too much people.

So this year, if we do it in le camp or interlaken, I don't
expect a big audience. If we do it in $BIG_CITY it will pretty much
be an event that can be held separately from DebConf.

Ana