Re: [Debconf-team] Switzerland checklist issues, Interlaken checklist added

On 22/10/12 15:36, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
> Daniel Pocock <daniel@pocock.com.au> writes:
>
>> I used the Vaumarcus checklist as a template for creating an Interlaken
>> checklist:
>>
>> http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf13/Switzerland/Bid/Vaumarcus
>>
>> http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf13/InterlakenChecklist
>>

>> While going through it, I noticed some issues:
>>
>> "Visas: Which/how many countries' citizens require getting a visa? How
>> hard (bureaucratic, probable) is it to get it? "
>>
>> Vaumarcus checklist has an ambiguous answer, "Schengen and EU countries
>> do not require any visa."  In fact, what this means is that if you are
>> already in a Schengen country, you don't need a visa to cross over the
>> border to Switzerland.  Everyone else must see if their country is on
>> the `needs a visa' list.  In practice, very few countries need a visa
>> for Switzerland, it is much easier than getting a US visa.
>
> I don't see how the original answer is ambigous then. If you look at the
> full answer in the original document it even links to the official PDF
> with the per country requirements. Or do you just refer to the fact that
> the original sentence should read "Schengen and EU country citizens ..."

Yes, reading the whole thing carefully (and the links) it makes sense.
But some people will form an impression based on that first sentence.

>> "Are there any import regulations, which might affect DebConf? (e.g. a
>> limit to number of notebooks / DVDs / other media you can bring in; hard
>> regulations for money transfers; etc.)"
>>
>> Vaumarcus checklist says `none' - in fact, CH is not an EU country, and
>> there are very strict customs controls, particularly on commercial
>> goods, alcohol and meat.  VAT and duties are charged on anyone exceeding
>> the limits.
>
> Do you know of any limits that actually affect DebConf (the second part
> of the question)? No one expects any country to have no import
> regulations at all, but I'm not aware of any regulations that actually
> will affect DebConf.

People who travel within Europe (e.g. from Germany to France) have no
VAT obligations at all - so they might wrongly assume the same applies
when entering Switzerland.

I don't think there is any problem for laptops, but do people bring
servers or anything else that might be perceived as a commercial product?

The alcohol limits are important: people might have heard that alcohol
is expensive in Switzerland and be planning to bring a crate of wine
from France in the back of their car.