Re: [Debconf-team] Accommodation costs: Hotel Seminole

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 7:00 PM, Gunnar Wolf <gwolf@gwolf.org> wrote:
Hi Leandro,

Leandro Gómez dijo [Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 06:51:27PM -0600]:
> Hello,
>
> We got a first quote from Hotel Seminole. Please note that we haven't
> negotiated yet a discount with them, so these price might go down a bit.
> All prices are in US dollars.
>
> > Single room: $75 + 17% sales tax = $87.75/pp
> > Double room: $80 + 17% sales tax = $93.60 ($46.80/pp)
> > Triple room: $90 + 17% sales tax = $105.30 ($35.10/pp)
> > Quadruple room: $100 + 17% sales tax = $117 ($29.25/pp)

Wasn't it part of the agreement with the government we would be
exempted from the 17% sales tax?

Our govt contact told us that it's going to be difficult to get the sales tax exemption. But we can ask if we can get the exemption only for paying hotels... maybe that is doable for them?

> Note: The quadruple rooms are with two king size beds, or one queen size
> and two small beds, so I don't think we have some use for them.

Right. On the other hand, there will be more than a few couples. Of
course, I'd much rather have a room for me and my GF, and so will many
others... But we are getting it for free. I think it is fair to lodge
two couples in a quadruple room, as the economic difference is not
negligible, or offer couples to pay extra for a room for themselves.

> The cheapest quote they gave us was for $12957.75 ($36.20/pp), distributed
> in 2 single rooms, 3 double rooms and 7 triple rooms.
>
> I'm going to write to them later tonight and start negotiating prices in
> order to see if we can lower it from $36 to $30 or less.

Ok, this sounds very decent - And it can be low enough for us not to
require to switch hotels midway (as the price jump in respect to the
smaller hotels was from $46 to $29 pppn, right?)

If we have Seminole at $36 or $30, I think we can stay there, much
more pleasantly.