Re: [Debconf-team] DebConf11 surplus for DebConf 12

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 04:16:11PM -0400, Richard Darst wrote:
> These two messages describe our current monetary status:
> http://lists.debconf.org/lurker/message/20120612.164231.5dab56bb.en.html
> http://lists.debconf.org/lurker/message/20120612.183811.fb6f6511.en.html

If I'm reading them correctly, the (still hypothetical) government
support will balance the estimated needs of accommodation and travel
sponsorship. That is encouraging.

> We would like to be able to count on the DC11 surplus (around 25k$)
> for DC12.  This will allow us to immediately send out travel
> sponsorship confirmations.  It will also mean that the Debian bank
> (money from general Debian funds, as opposed to surplus) won't need to
> be used.
>
> Thus, I am requesting use of the (entire) DC11 surplus.  It is very
> unlike we'll actually have to use the whole thing - and if/when
> government support comes through, perhaps not any.

Go for it then.
And also go get government support :-), which we clearly need!

----

FWIW, and marginally getting back to the topic of pre-approved early
tentative budgets, I would have considered perfectly appropriate for
such a budget to include the surplus coming from past year. That is
coherent with the view that DebConf-s should strive to have _amortized_
zero cost.  So this is maybe an example where implementing past plans
could have reduced money stress a little bit, which is a worthwhile goal
that I think we should try next year.  I agree with you that early
budgets will be neither complete nor 100% correct. But they are better
than nothing and help in making decisions, as this thread shows.

Thanks for your work,
Cheers.