Re: [Debconf-team] [Debconf12-localteam] Food tokens, or similar (was Re: Minutes from local team meeting 140512)

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 10:56 AM, Philip Hands <phil@hands.com> wrote:
On Thu, 17 May 2012 07:26:55 -0600, Leandro Gómez <leo.telsen@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://whiteboard.debian.net/9403b9.wb

Regarding the food and sponsored food.

I note that you're talking about bar-codes etc -- in previous years
we've done something like print a logo (a burger, say) on the badges of
those that have food sponsored -- that way the lunch queue doesn't need
any technology to let people into lunch.

Yes, we also considered having something printed on the badges to indicate if the person have sponsored food or not, but it's not a good way to keep track of number of meals and people eating.

There are a couple of other issues that need to be thought about:

 some people that have not been sponsored for food will want to pay for
 food, possibly on a day-by-day basis, so that they can continue a
 conversation with some people that have been sponsored.

We'll have someone collecting money for non-sponsored people as we pay directly to the food catering service.

 Some people who have been sponsored for food will notice that there
 are places outside the venue that sell good food (possibly at prices
 that strike them as very cheap) and opt to go out and pay for food,
 despite being sponsored.  It would be good if DebConf doesn't have to
 pay for their empty seat.

This is the reason why we quite often end up with food tickets being
issued, and then collected on the door of the restaurant, so that DebConf
can keep track of actual numbers of people eating, and also sell extra
tickets to people that are not sponsored.

There is also the fact that the venue might not trust our figures, and
want to do their own accounting -- in that case the food ticket approach
works as the venue can take care of only giving food to people that give
them either cash or a food token, and then the venue can present us with
the food tokens as proof of the amount we owe them.

Of course, this means that the tokens end up being currency, and need to
be handled with something like the same care.

If you can come up with a better scheme, great :-) (the tokens are
always a pain to produce and administer, because they pretty much have
to be done as people turn up, because people turn up and realise they
want to eat with their friends, and want to pay to be counted among the
sponsored)

Whatever you do should provide something like the same features though,
unless perhaps you can negotiate a reasonable flat-rate with the venue,
so that we don't have to care so much if more or less people turn up
than we've paid for.

Food team, please? :)

Cheers, Phil.
--