Re: [Debconf-team] Question for DebConf13 bids: Costs

Giacomo Catenazzi dijo [Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 11:21:12AM +0100]:
> Our budget (in wiki) is set as the maximum costs, we could have some
> discounts from camp, it seems also that we can have the refund of
> VAT (but the VAT is low in Switzerland).

What would qualify us for getting the VAT refund? Would it be for all
of the expenses, just for part?

> Anyway, the venue + accommodation are cheap. About food: we have the
> option to cook ourselves (by finding volunteers to cook for many
> people). In this case I think we should divide people: sponsored and
> non-sponsored, not to cook too much or maybe we can use this option
> only for lunch, or only for some days (an outside grill party, ..).

Humh... If DebConf were to be a weekend activity, or something short
as most conferences, we could entertain this idea. But cooking for 300
people is not something you can do just as a hobby. Specially if you
want those 300 people to enjoy the food and continue happily
hacking. We could consider cooking ourselves for a daytrip activity,
but I would prefer not to consider it for day-to-day

> - raise the prices for non sponsored attendee

Yes, every year it is adjusted to our local prices. We try to keep it,
however, as close as possible to the real lodging price.

> - sell more debian.ch stuffs (with a "debconf tax") (see e.g. our
> T-shirt, umbrella, knives). But so debian.ch should take the risk to
> have unsold stuffs, and anyway I would not count for much income.

Right. I doubt selling even the most expensive items in an individual
basis (the knife?) will yield enough earning to make a significant
dent :(

> - because there are no bars and restaurants nearly the camp, we
> could set a debian tax to beer and other stuffs (anyway I expect
> that such drinks will costs less than in normal bars).

This can be a nice, adequate idea.

> - debcamp in Zurich or Geneva and using the bunkers for
> accommodation and university for network + rooms (but network and
> video team will have less time to setup stuffs). Or using only few
> building for DebCamp and share the campus with other groups.

This sounds impossible. An important part of the DebCamp work is
getting the venue ready for DebConf, and it's done as early as
possible to have the latest days as buffer in case of unforseen
problems. DebCamp _has_ to be at the same venue than DebConf.

> - In emergency we could move debconf to Geneva or Zurich: bunkers +
> university (but venue and bunkers are far).

Right, please consider this as well for the decision meeting! What
does "far" mean? And being inside a city has many other interesting
advantages.