Re: [Debconf-team] non-CHF sponsorship

In my experience[1] with this it's almost impossible to be prescriptive
about this with sponsors in this manner, and therefore (a) and (d) are
complete non-starters.

The typical issue is that person A has a budget (in USD / EUR) for
sponsoring events, and they can offer that.  Actual payment is handled
by their accounting department, so you have to then invoice $COMPANY for
the agreed amount in USD (/ EUR), which then gets passed back to person
A for sign-off, and (eventual) payment.

In some cases there is added complexity when the *actual* payment is
handled by a second company, and then the real pain begins.

So while you might be able to get the 'small change' amounts of
sponsorship paid in CHF, or paid in a timely manner so that they can be
converted to CHF and known, for the big amounts you will just have to
cope, and you're stuck with (c).

This need not be quite *so* terrifying, however, as to allow for 30%
change in currency rate.  I wouldn't think it likely that relative
currencies will shift more than 10% in real terms, and as they do you
will occasionally recalculate your budget shortfall.

Option (b) is what effectively *does* happen, in that the conference
happens, everyone tries to make a budget that has a small surplus, and
over the many years of Debconfs sometimes SPI (or equivalent) has had to
fund the shortfall and sometimes they have received the benefit of a
small surplus.

Cheers,
				Andrew McMillan.

[1] I've been fairly closely involved in a number of DebConfs, but more
specifically I also ran sponsorship for LCA for 2010 and 2011.