Re: [Debconf-team] professional and corporate numbers from previous years

On Tue, Nov 06, 2012 at 03:38:09PM +0100, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi Ana,
>
> thanks for the interesting statistics!
>
> On Dienstag, 6. November 2012, Ana Guerrero wrote:
> > ... Given le camp is in a place isolated, I fear some people
> > not finding alternatives easily might give up in attending this year.
>
> actually it's not that isolated, it's 15-20min by car to either
> Neuchatel or Lausanne. That's a lot less than what most people commute
> daily for work - and I'm pretty sure there wont be traffic jams :)
>
> Granted this requires a car, but there are more then enough of those in
> Europe. (And sadly, car sharing will be the cheapest option for most
> Europeans to attend.)

Let's not enter in what is far or not, we wouldn't anywhere. It is a cultural
conception, for some 10m walking is a very close place and for some 10m walking
is far. While some live happily without a car, some don't know how to live
without a car....
That the place is easily reachable if you are lucky enough to have or
afford a car doesn't mean the place is not isolated.

> I'd like to twist this argument: (as I think it's important to focus on
> how to make this work, rather then to think about how things might not
> work...)

Sorry, you aren't twisting any arguments. I give my thoughts with a reason,
you aren't giving any reasoning.  People can be happy staying with the crowd
and people can hate cars and they won't like staying at le camp to the point
of simply not attending.

> - understand that they contribute to DebConf this way. This might need
> additional help (ie announcements). So far we never really tried to sell
> prof/corp attendence type very much.

Isn't this what we did in DC10? I remember sending emails to people about
it, a few of them.

> - happily choose to become paying attendees as we closed sponsored
> attendence after reaching X applications (because we might choose this
> as our way to deal with not enough incoming sponsorship money)

This would be terribly sad and unfair.

Ana