Re: [Debconf-team] Budget tradeoffs vs amount of fundraising

On Thu, Nov 01, 2012 at 07:40:12AM -0300, David Bremner wrote:
> Richard Darst <rkd@zgib.net> writes:
>
> > - All options have sponsored day trip / conference dinner.  With the
> >   large magnitude of monies we are talking about, removing this this
> >   doesn't affect very much.  Removing this last minute could close ~10
> >   kCHF deficits.
> > - I exclude income based on bed upselling or bar profit, I'm not sure
> >   it'll be so much.  This is small compared to magnitudes below (~10
> >   kCHF in localteam budget).
>
> I hesitate a bit to comment on this, because I recognize it is
> tangential to your main point. However, I do think that budgeting a
> sponsored day trip while budgeting zero travel sponsorship will leave a
> bad taste in many people's mouths.  To put it another way, I'm fine with
> waiting to see if all the essentials are paid for before considering
> travel sponsorship, but I don't consider a sponsored day trip to be an
> essential aspect of DebConf.

Agreed.  Here's my reasoning.  At the no travel sponsorship range,
there are 50-100 attendees, costing 2000 for day trip / 2000 for
conference dinner.  That's just small change, and probably would be
chosen to be moved to travel sponsorship anyway.

In general (and more of a suggestion for future years than anything),
I consider anything less than 10 kCHF (or really 20-30 kCHF) within
the uncertainty.  It's more important to have a budget that can
gracefully expand or contract depending on many details which can vary
up to the last minute.  So everything in my last emails is very, very,
very approximate.
- amount of sponsorship
- number of attendees
- number of paying attendees