Re: [Debconf-team] bad bed comparison

On 10/30/2012 11:24 PM, Jonathan McDowell wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 10:40:49PM +0100, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>> I just had a look at the picture from the 32 bed dorm:
>> http://layer-acht.org/fotos/670_Switzerland_DC13-pre/20121027_027_Sm.jpg.61
>>
>> I never realised before that people actually sleep side by side with no
>> space between them.
>>
>> In the Interlaken option, ALL beds are separate with space between them:
>> http://www.readytechnology.co.uk/interlaken/IMG_6807.JPG
>>
>> so there is a lot more equality at Interlaken, none of this squeezing
>> people in like sardines and asking them to pay for an upgrade if they
>> really can't stand it.
>
> There's perhaps not enough appreciation that dorms being the only option
> is discouraging people from attending next year. From the presentation I
> saw at DebConf12 Le Camp did not look like an appealing option. Even if
> I decided I could justify paying for a hotel (and given that I'd be
> paying for flights from the US as well that's unlikely) there weren't
> really any close options available. I haven't taken a close look at what
> the Interlaken venue offers, but again my personal limit is probably
> sharing with 3 other people who I at least sort of know.

I understand your feeling and I partially agree. I tried to help debconf
and my accommodation standards by sleeping independently / paying
accommodation (or professional fee) to have (hopefully) better beds.

It was also my main concern about Vaumarcus (and the second one: not
being near true mountains). But then I discovered that we have many
small rooms (this is one error from us, we wrote much about the big
dorms and not about the rest of rooms). So I think me (and others) could
pay (helping debconf) and have a better accommodation.

One thing you can be (pretty) sure about Switzerland is about cleaness
of rooms and that the sanitary services are clean and "modern" (IIRC
they are better than found in some non-Swiss hotels and in other DCs).
Other localteam: do you have photos of the WC, showers etc. of various
rooms?

We wanted our DebConf to be different from the last ones, so this is
also a test: Can we do some DebConfs with the old style.

ciao
	cate