Re: [Debconf-team] bad bed comparison

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 10:40:49PM +0100, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> I just had a look at the picture from the 32 bed dorm:
> http://layer-acht.org/fotos/670_Switzerland_DC13-pre/20121027_027_Sm.jpg.61
>
> I never realised before that people actually sleep side by side with no
> space between them.
>
> In the Interlaken option, ALL beds are separate with space between them:
> http://www.readytechnology.co.uk/interlaken/IMG_6807.JPG
>
> so there is a lot more equality at Interlaken, none of this squeezing
> people in like sardines and asking them to pay for an upgrade if they
> really can't stand it.

There's perhaps not enough appreciation that dorms being the only option
is discouraging people from attending next year. From the presentation I
saw at DebConf12 Le Camp did not look like an appealing option. Even if
I decided I could justify paying for a hotel (and given that I'd be
paying for flights from the US as well that's unlikely) there weren't
really any close options available. I haven't taken a close look at what
the Interlaken venue offers, but again my personal limit is probably
sharing with 3 other people who I at least sort of know.

I'm watching from the sidelines, but it very much looks like we're
spending a significant sum of money on a DebConf that is significantly
lower in accommodation standard than we've had in the past, for more
money. DC7 marks a low point in my memory with regards to accommodation
and cost about 130kCHF for 400 people. It was also in a city of
reasonable size with plenty of options for those of us who wanted
something less basic, while still being close to the rest of the
conference.

(Note I'm not really expecting this mail to change anything, but I was
asked to send my feedback by someone who saw me casually complain on
IRC. I'm older these days and taking time off work to go to a conference
where I'll feel like I need another holiday afterwards becomes harder to
justify.  I'm not the only one who feels this way. I'm not offended if
it's decided that DebConf shouldn't cater to people like me, but it
should be an informed decision taken by the organizers appreciating that
a certain section of developers will decide not to turn up if things are
too basic.)

J.

--
Revd Jonathan McDowell, ULC | What have you got in your pocket?