Re: [Debconf-team] Travel sponsorship proposal

Hi Ana,

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 07:24:23PM +0200, Ana Guerrero wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There were a thread discussing about travel sponsorship for this year,
> I am unable to find it now, so allow me a new thread to send my proposal.
>
> * Forgetting about travel sponsorhip until March 1st
>
> Some people was commenting in that thread and in IRC about dropping directly
> the travel sponsorship for this year because it seems unlikely we'll have
> money. Others argued providing travel sponsorship is very important because
> if not some people won't never be able to go to debconf (I agree with this).
>
> What about not considering travel sponsorship in the budget and in the
> beginning of March, when we know better how much money we'll have we reconsider
> it again?  It will still give people time to do travel arrangements if the
> decision is taken soon.

Sounds fine to me, considering the current budget status.

> * Managing travel sponsorship request in a different way
>
> I would also like to propose removing all the debconf travel sponsorship
> system from the $PENTA_REPLACEMENT and just ask people needing travel
> sponsorship to send an email to the travel sponsorship committee explaining
> why they need sponsorship, how much money this person think it will be
> needed and how much help need. This allow the committee contact the
> person directly asking for more details and also discussing the involvement
> of that person in Debian by the committee  (not everybody knows everybody).
> This could be tracked via a RT ticket, for example.
>
> This would address the main flaw I saw in the penta-approach: the system
> is quite impersonal and it lacks communication between the committee and
> the people needing sponsorship.

I'd propose that we have a bigger amount of raters for travel $ allocation. And
people from the core teams (orga, travel sponsorship etc) would just provide
the guidelines for them, but not join the raters' team. If we don't use a
rating system provided by penta/whatever it will be harder to achieve. So I'd
go to improve/simplify what we have today, but not to leave it behind.

Regards,

  .''`.  Tiago Bortoletto Vaz                         GPG  :      1024D/A504FECA
 : :' :  http://acaia.ca/~tiago                       XMPP : tiago at jabber.org
 `. `'   tiago at debian.org                          IRC  :       tiago at OFTC
   `-    Debian GNU/Linux - The Universal OS               http://www.debian.org