Re: [Debconf-team] Cancellation policy

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 8:23 AM, Holger Levsen <holger@layer-acht.org> wrote:
Hi,

On Dienstag, 14. August 2012, Giacomo Catenazzi wrote:
> Not really. Until we start giving something to the customers, we are
> obliged to return money to the customer, if he ask so. You should also
> remember that in DebConf we are the "strong part", so any doubts on
> contracts are in favor to our attendees.
>
> And in many countries the consumer rights are more powerful,

I dont think we deal with normal private customers here, but business clients.
-> very different rules + regulations.

But still...

> So we should use the simple one:
>
> "There are no refunds in case of cancellation

this might be a good idea (without the "maybe you'll get refund" clause...) -
I'd rather amend it: "There are no refunds, in case of cancellation the fee
will become a donation to Debian."

I feel that we should publish a cancellation policy, but agree with Holger that we should not publish an exception clause, and like his wording about the fee becoming a donation. I'll also add that in the same place it can't hurt to mention travel insurance, as I really didn't know what it was until reading this thread. (I suspect that many people don't know it is an option.) Perhaps something to the effect of, "If you are concerned that you may need to cancel your trip, please consider Trip Cancellation Travel Insurance."??

cheers,
        Holger