Re: [Debconf-team] DC13 Venue constraints

Le lundi, 13 août 2012 17.47:37, Judit Foglszinger a écrit :
> Why does the local team so much oppose bunkers,
> given that a large number of accommodation options in Le Camp
> isn't really more "luxurious"?

The source for anyone speaking about beds and their luxury at Le Camp is:

	http://www.lecamp.ch/visite.php?lang=en#

That said, my (personal) opposition to this type of accomodation is twofold:

a) Swiss bunkers are "nuclear war bunkers", they are supposed to host the
   Swiss population in case of nuclear war (and are also used in cases of
   emergencies):
  * underground,
  * absolutely no window,
  * moisture and temperature control,
  * very noisy at night (because of the above),
  * very high bed density (three-beds per height, upper bed is 75 cm above
    yours),
  * very limited personal space (0.2 m^3 at most),
  * usually very big "rooms" (45-60 persons per room),
  * usually no personal showers although one can use the in-out cleaning
    showers that are supposed to be used to clean from nuclear-polluted ashes,
    with close to no-privacy;
  * in cities (that's not necessarily bad);
  * relatively cheap (although usually not less than 5 CHF / person / night).

In contrast to that, the "worst" beds one can get at LeCamp [0] are in _one_
room of 32 beds (all others are smaller), with a window, in two heights,
within a bungalow that has a covered terrace and several showers. This
concerns 32 beds across 325 (less than 10%); all others are better. IMHO, any
Le Camp bed [1] will be undeniably better than any bunker bed [2].

[0] http://www.lecamp.ch/communs/batiments.php?id=11&lang=en
[1] http://www.lecamp.ch/images/batiments/11int.jpg
[2] http://www.rettung.bs.ch/anlagenvermeitung.jpg

b) Hospitality: as much as I would be honoured and happy to host DebConf in
Switzerland, I would be definitely ashamed to have to host most DebConf
attendees in bunkers. I think that in said case, we should really re-consider
Latvia.

Cheers,

OdyX