Re: [Debconf-team] Meeting with Le Camp

Didier 'OdyX' Raboud dijo [Wed, Aug 08, 2012 at 10:40:10PM +0200]:
> The number of attendees to talks and the number of people having food at
> LeCamp can probably be taken up (iff the respective additional money comes in
> adequately) by some dozens (lets say +50). But there's indeed a hard limit of
> 325 _beds_ in LeCamp (that the DebConf commitee very much knew of). There are
> alternate accomodation eventualities for individuals [0] but they are
> addmitedly quite distant. We are also discussing the possibility of extending
> the hosting capabilities of Le Camp either by allowing private tents (very
> unlikely) or by providing a bigger group-tent (also unlikely, but less so). In
> anycase, we'll have more answers after the next meeting at LeCamp [1].
>
> I have put the "DebConf13 venue decision" up for decision by the DebConf team
> at its next meeting [2]; both the localteam volunteers and Le Camp need to
> know rather soon if DebConf13's going to happen there or not. In my
> understanding, the DebConf team is entitled to decide if the limit makes it a
> "no-go" or not and I'd really prefer having the cut of enforcing a venue
> change done early rather than late.

Speaking only for myself: We still have plenty of time, and I'm sure
we can come up with a way to address the shortage of space, if it
_really_ is a concern to us (yes, I know Central Europe is very
attractive, but it's not yet a fact we will receive >325 people
wanting to sleep with us). The ideas about contacting landowners
nearby to request their permission to camp, or to "build" a collective
tent, have undeniable merit. Something can be achieved, I hope. Other
larger camping venues were mentioned today on IRC (in the German
speaking part of Switzerland); I'd expect them to be more expensive
(and you said they are probably booked by now), but they should also
be looked into.

I really don't think capacity is a reason to call it a no-go, by any
means. And yes, if it comes to that, we *can* say we can only lodge
325 people and the rest are free to come by their own means and lodge
nearby (which means ~10Km — And many people from Central Europe will
bring cars). It will not be nice, brings many complications, but it is
not impossible. And as we rated this year to see who deserved
food+hotel sponsorship, we can do the same - Only that non-sponsored
people will have to get transportation from a different lodging.

(I'm just mailing what we already discussed during a couple of hours
so there is a record of that, and a record of me thinking that way)

(and yes, the main concern for me remains getting the money to pay for
it all - I will reiterate: I trust what the locals have said, that it
will be much easier to raise this money in .ch than elsewhere. But
concerned, I am :) )