Re: [Debconf-team] [Debconf13-localteam] DC13 sponsoring brochure, sponsorship levels

Daniel Pocock dijo [Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 03:07:40PM +0000]:
> That is an interesting point - people from beyond Europe are likely to
> spend a lot of their own money coming to DebConf, buying tickets months
> in advance, etc
>
> One simple way to do this would be to turn the tables: give everybody
> the worst-case-scenario.  Tell everyone they have to contribute a share
> of the cost (200k / 200 people = 1,000 CHF each) and that they get back
> money if sponsors are found.
>
> This could also be used to buy CHF now and hedge the currency risk (I'll
> reply to the other email about that separately)
>
> Then people will know that DebConf is definitely happening and nobody
> has to be scared about it.

...Except for those of us that, facing the prospect of paying CHF1,000
if nothing miraclous happens (as that's the message we would be
giving), would probably decide not to attend. And so, if instead of
200 projected attendees only 150 register, the price would increase
for everybody.

It is a way to get the conference doable, of course. But then again, I
hope it's not the chosen way.