Re: [Debconf-team] [Debconf-discuss] venue issues (renamed)

> Of course, given the family-hostile accommodation that exists at Le Camp,
> and the fact that camping isn't sounding like it's going to be allowed
> (bizarrely), and the nearest alternative accommodation being miles away,
> and there apparently being nothing nearby for non-debianites to

non-debianites: that could mean sponsors, people new to the community,
and also guest speakers.  I would put all these people as a higher
priority for Debian than supporting family members.  However, they will
all be faced with the same challenges, some of them might be a little
surprised.

FOSDEM main track speakers are put up in 4 or 5 star accommodation in
the most convenient locations (i.e. close to the beer night).  I'm not
suggesting DebConf should promise this: but it is something to be aware of.

Given the fact that many leaders within the free software community are
close by, I think that having a couple of high profile external guest
speakers may be helpful.  I'm not saying that Debian doesn't have some
great speakers too - but if we want to bring new members and raise our
profile with sponsors, this could be a good strategy - so the
accommodation, transport and access to the social scene for such guests
would become an issue.

> Is it just me, or is this location actually impractical in general,
> rather than specifically for the parents among us? (the double-sized
> budget in the middle of a financial melt-down seems like reason enough
> to be suspicious, and every other aspect I've heard about it seems
> somehow problematic too).

I don't want to give my own opinions on those things, I felt it was
better to initiate the discussion about a [survey] to find out what the
wider community feels, nobody has responded to that email though.

Some quick comments though:

- Swiss team were given the green light, so if people have concerns now,
it should be used to improve the process for scrutinizing future bids
(e.g. DC14)

- I agree with a venue that supports lowest-common-denominator, but I
personally feel it should always be closer to alternative
(tourist-class) accommodation for those willing to pay more and/or for
sponsors, guest speakers, etc

- if it is necessary/desirable to change venue (e.g. if they don't get
the broadband in place), I'm willing to give up some of my time to scout
potential venues in Switzerland, but other people will have to find them
in Google first and give me a list

- we should not look at cost, look at value.  It costs more: but can
DebConf reach out to any of the world renowned organisations (both
universities and businesses) in Switzerland to gain direct or indirect
subsidies?  Given the prestige associated with Switzerland, can we run
any venture on the side for extra profit, e.g. training?