Re: [Debconf-team] [Debconf13-localteam] DC13 sponsoring brochure, sponsorship levels

Hi there!

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 18:21:40 +0200, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
> Luca Capello <luca@pca.it> writes:
> > --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
> > Sponsorship levels
> > ------------------
> >
> > * BRONZE - starting from CHF 2'500 [DC10 2'000, DC11 2'500, DC12 2'000]
> > * SILVER - starting from CHF 7'500 [DC10 10'000, DC11 6'000, DC12 5'000]
> > * GOLD - starting from CHF 15'000 [DC10 20'000, DC11 12'000, DC12 12'500]
> > * PLATINUM - starting from CHF 30'000 [DC10 30'000, DC11 30'000, DC12 25'000]
>
> A bit of context why the levels were lowered after DC10 would be nice. I
> would even propose to go back to the DC10 levels unless they did not
> work out back then. We certainly won't have government support to the
> extent we had it for the last two years. So we really need this money
> even if we can reduce the costs from the initial estimate of over
> 200'000 CHF. Does someone know how many sponsors in each category we had
> in previous years.

+2, one for the note and one for the question ;-)

> > Notes
> > -----
> >
> > * The size and order of sponsor logos in promotional materials will be
> >   set according to the amount of sponsorship received from each
> >   sponsor.
>
> Minor nitpick: I think this should be according to the sponsorship
> category. I don't think it's practical to have different sizes of logos
> even in the same category. It will just look ugly.

Again, +1, I simply reported the idea without going into details, IIRC
Moray proposed that if we need more details.

> > * We would like to note that hardware donations to support the DebConf
> >   infrastructure are welcomed.
>
> Is this really true? I'm not aware that we are in need of any hardware
> for DebConf at the moment. I would avoid this because im my experience
> companies that actually sell hardware or services that we might use tend
> to prefer to donate this instead of money. But we mostly need money, not
> hardware or services. If companies ask we can always negotiate
> something, but I would not offer this possibility upfront.

IIRC this was Axel's proposal to which I agree.  As far as I remember
(and from the small contributionw I gave to previous DebConfs
organization) at DC11 servers were sponsored by a German
hardware/service company (I do not remember its name right now) and at
DC12 the upstream Internet connection was sponsored as well.

I agree we can negotiate if companies ask, but I would say that we
should get as many sponsors as we can, so giving them more appealing
way to enter in the game.

> > * We also invite sponsors, in addition to their basic sponsorship, to
> >   sponsor a specific part of the conference.  These are some of the
> >   opportunities available, please contact the sponsorship team to
> >   discuss prices and other details:
> >
> >   - Lecture and meeting rooms
> >   - Conference banquet
> >   - Tourist outing
> This is the daytrip or what do you mean with this?

Holger is the source here, I think he wants to clarify this ;-)

> > b) what about smaller contributors [8]?  How should we "reward" them?
>
> For DebConf 12 the idea was to have a small donors page on the website
> with just the names but no link. The page does not yet exist because I
> don't know yet if someone actually requested to be listed on this page.
> I still have to search through all the spam in the Request Tracker to
> find out.

OK, so we will do the same, but IMHO we should advertise that in the
levels, thus having a BASIC one for less than CHF 2'500 with the
benefits of "name listed on DebConf website".

> > c) who handle the sponsorship process and money?  Or, if you want to
> >    have it differently, which structure should be put on the sponsorship
> >    brochure?  Until now we used the DebConf Sponsorship Team, but for
> >    DebConf12 it was suggested to add a note about SPI & Co. [9], while
> >    the DebConf13 localteam also started a discussion about a separate
> >    and new association [10].  This is even more important if we would
> >    like to advertise the possibility of tax exemption [11].
>
> I would like to keep this discussion separate from the sponsorship level
> discussion. Currently Philipp Hug is investigating with the local tax
> office to get a binding answer on these questions.

I think there was a misunderstanding: I am not asking for the binding
answer for the *association*, but simply for the *structure*.  As
Norman wrote, the latter has always been the DebConf Sponsorship Team
(as it is in the current version for the DC13 brochure).

This distinction is quite important, because it means that we can go
on with the sponsoring brochure even if the association has not been
defined yet.  If you remember previous DC13 meetings, I thought
differently, i.e. that the association should have been put on the
brochure itself and I am not happy to stand corrected.

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca