Re: [Debconf-team] sponsored tracks?

On Thu, 2012-07-26 at 21:49 +0000, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> Has there ever been any variation to the existing sponsorship model, for
> example, having sponsors for particular tracks?

We have had sponsors pay for specific elements.  This year one sponsor
wanted to be listed only for Debian Day, which is effectively a single
track within the overall conference.  (But eligible sponsors have rarely
taken up the offer of a special talk slot, so I'm not sure how much
enthusiasm they would have for the chairing job part.)

Note that the most concrete feedback we've had on our sponsorship
options was that they were too complex.  The more special options have
rarely been taken up by sponsors, and more recently we have tried to
simplify the main set of levels somewhat.

It's probably best if the sponsorship brochure emphasises the main
levels, and doesn't spend much time on special options.  We should still
discuss those in advance, but the sponsor contacts can talk about them
(and discuss more details in the team if needed) when their discussions
with a sponsor make them think that it's going to help raise money,
rather than giving too confusing a list of price options at the start.

We have also previously had the principle that most special options
should be *in addition to* some base level of sponsorship.  The
intention behind this is to avoid, for example, upsetting, a plain
Platinum sponsor by another sponsor giving money solely for one
high-profile but cheap conference social event (getting more immediate
visibility while financially helping the conference much less).

--
Moray