Re: [Debconf-team] Debian Kids Camp for DebConf-next

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 08:35:15AM +0200, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
> Le mercredi, 25 juillet 2012 23.31:52, Daniel Pocock a écrit :
> > So while it is a great idea, I don't think it is reasonable to put any
> > pressure on the local team after the community accepted their original
> > proposal.

I agree with Daniel that we can not put additional tasks on volunteers
who issued a proposal which was accepted.  If there is an explicite wish
for further tasks we need further volunteers - we now that simply asking
for features without volunteering to do the work is not going to be
successful.

> This becomes an even trickier question when the DebConf accomodation is
> limited; as you know, the currently planned venue for DebConf13 (Le Camp) has
> a fixed amount of beds: 325 [0]. Given a DebConf13 in central Europe,
> reacheable rather easily by train from France and Germany, the expected amount
> of attendees is quite high (with a "high" to be defined, of course).

Do we have numbers of attendees of all past DebConfs to do some raw
estimation?  I also consider bringing my wife and kid (which will next
year be 22 years - so is not urgently needing any specific care ;-)) but
I rather want these to be as DebConf attendees / helpers (so strictly
speaking this mail is off topic in this thread).  The fact whether we
could stay in a smaller room (perhaps even together with another kind of
family) or whether we might be separated in some gender separated
dormitory would have some influence whether my wife will consider
joining or not.

> So, to come straight to the point, one question that should be answered rather
> soon by the DebConf Team is the planned attribution of these beds across
> attendee categories. While it would certainly be possible to grant 100 beds to
> "people not interested in the conference but kid/partner", this would be a
> significant shift in what DebConf will look like.

I do not like the idea that any real DebConf attendee would be cut of.

> ( A reasonable alternative to this would be a completely external location /
>   venue / program / accomodation with the "alternative DebConf" for non
>   conference-attendees, organised by another team. )
>
> My current opinion is that partner accomodation (accepting the limited
> privacy) can be handled without too much problems;

This sounds good for me in the sense above - but as I said:  Do we have
numbers for some serious estimation?  I personally would think that some
factor of 1.5 or even 2 to the number of people in Edinburgh or Banja
Luka would give some raw estimation.

> kids accomodation on the
> other hand opens a huge set of questions I'd rather avoid.

... and you should rather avoid.  That's the task of the
debconf-kids-team and the fact whether this debconf-kids-team will
exist or not will tell us how honest people are about this.

> [0] Camping with tents is being discussed with the venue management but should
> not be taken as granted at all. External accomodation (official camping,
> hotels, …) is also being discussed but cannot be taken as granted either.

In what distance are the next hotels / camping sites / accomodations?
(walking distance < 30min, bicycle distance < 30min)

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de