[Debconf-team] DC13 sponsoring brochure, please review sections Debian and DebConf

Hi

In preparation of the DC13 sponsoring brochure I reviewed and amended
the sections about Debian and DebConf. We used the DC11 brochure as a
starting point and I also looked at the DC10 brochure for some ideas.
The latex source of the paragraphs in question is included below for
inline commenting. The whole source is in the debconf-data repository at
dc13/sponsorship-brochure/brochure.en.tex. The tex file does not yet
have it's final formatting. Ignore all formatting issues.

I have split the Debian section into 3 more distinct subsections:

1. Free Operating System
2. Debian is Choice (started from DC10 brochure)
3. A Large Scale, Non-profit, Distributed Project

My intention is to explain a bit more in depth the spirit and goals of
the Debian project also to potential sponsors that might not know Debian
very well and to hilight the key properties of the Debian project. The
text is a bit longer as in the DC12 brochure, but not yet as long as in
the DC10 edition.

For the DebConf section I mainly added a short description of the DC13
venue and setting.

Please review my changes both with regard to content as for english
language improvements.

Gaudenz

\section{Debian}

\subsection{Free Operating System}

Debian is a free and open operating system. Debian consists completely
of Free and Open Source Software. It's strict guidelines serve as an
example for many other projects. Debian project is dedicated to remain
100\% free and to be a responsible ``citizen'' of the Free and Open
Source Software ecosystem. It's key priorities are Free Software and
it's users.

\subsection{Debian is Choice}
Debian is known for its adherence to the Unix and Free Software
philosophies, and for its coverage -- the current release includes
over 20,000 software packages for more than 10 computer architectures,
ranging from the more common Intel 32-bit and 64-bit architectures to
ARM (cellphones and tablets) and the IBM s390 (mainframes). Besides
the well-known Linux kernel it also supports the FreeBSD kernel.
Debian is the basis for several other distributions, including Knoppix
and Ubuntu.

\subsection{A Large Scale, Non-profit, Distributed Project}
The Debian Project's key strengths are its volunteer base, its
dedication to the Debian Social Contract, and its commitment to
provide the best operating system possible. Debian is produced by over
a thousand active developers spread around the world. Many of whom
volunteer in their spare time. Apart from DebConf most communication
takes place on the Internet in mailing-lists and IRC chat-rooms.
Unlike all other Linux Distributions of similar size Debian is an
independent non-profit organization not backed by a commercial
company.

% from <http://www.debian.org/devel/developers.loc>
\begin{figure}[htb]
  \centering
  \includegraphics[width=12cm]{img/developers_map}
  \label{fig:Map_Debian_Project_members}
\end{figure}

Debian's dedication to Free Software, its non-profit nature, and its
open development model make it unique among Free Software
distributions.

\section{DebConf}

\subsection{Debian Annual Conference}

DebConf is the annual conference for Debian contributors and
interested users. Previous Debian Conferences have featured speakers
and attendees from around the world (DebConf11 had about 300 attendees
from more than 50 different countries). Thanks to our sponsors,
\textbf{participation, accommodation and meals are free of charge} to
Debian developers and contributors.

DebConf 13 will take place in August 2013 at the shore of Lake
Neuchâtel in Vaumarcus, Switzerland. The conference venue ``Le Camp''
offers an ideal and yet affordable environment for informal workgroup
meetings, more formal discussion sessions and technical presentations.
Almost all participants will be hosted on site. % better english needed

\textbf{Sponsoring the Debian
  Conference} will help cover the costs of the Conference, as well as
enable three distinct sub-events:\\

\begin{tabular}{p{0.3\textwidth} p{0.3\textwidth} p{0.3\textwidth}}

\large{\textbf{DebConf}} & \large{\textbf{DebCamp}} & \large{\textbf{Debian Day}} \\

\vspace{0.5ex} Hands-on coding, workshops and talks -- all highly technical in nature.
&
\vspace{0.5ex} Pre-meeting for development teams focusing on undisturbed
collaborative work.
&
\vspace{0.5ex} An open day for users and decision makers to discover the benefits of
Free Software. \\

\end{tabular}

\subsection{Video}

We have a dedicated team of volunteers recording all talks at DebConf.
The sessions are streamed live via the Internet for remote
participants. All videos are also archived for further benefit of the
community. \textbf{We thank our Platinum and Gold sponsors by
  inserting their own logos in all video transmissions}.

--
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.
Try again. Fail again. Fail better.