Re: [Debconf-team] Subtitles for DebConf talks videos

[added Zamir in Cc as he is also interested in subbing spanish talks, and
I don't know if he's subscribed to the lists]

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 07:52:42PM +0200, Laura Arjona wrote:
> Hello
> I can help with Spanish subtitles, and I am interesting in learning
> how to do it; Francesca could you please explain a littel bit about
> it?

Sure! Note that I'm not an expert on subtitles, I just started to work on
them a couple of days ago, but I can describe you my workflow and the
tools I use. If there's someone else with a bit more experience,
suggestions are really welcome!

First of all, obviously, download the video. (I'd done it via wget).
There are various subtitle editors in Debian: gnome-subtitles,
subtitleeditor, gaupol, aegisub.
After having tried a couple, I decided to use aegisub, so the
instructions here are for doing the work with it (but I guess that the
workflow is similar with all the tools).
Launch aegisub, then open the video (via Video → Open video) then open
the audio file associated (via Audio → Open Audio from Video). Now you'll
have a frame with the video and a frame with the graphical depiction of
the audio.
Time to start the real work: open a new sub file (via File → New
subtitles), then play the first segment of audio and write the
transcription below.
The audio segments are pre-defined by default, but obviously you can drag
the start or the end line to create a shorter or a longer segment.
Remember to always click to the "Commit" button (or press enter) to save
each subtitle line, or it will vanish without saving when you go ahead
with another segment.
Note also that to do the review is better to use mplayer (or your video
player) as inside aegisub the synch between audio and video is not
perfect (the video frame is used only to adjust subtitles position, not
to review or play the video). To be honest I use only the audio, and not
the video at all (just checking from time to time with mplayer that is
all ok).
To run the video with the subtitles with mplayer you just need to:
'mplayer video-name -sub sub-file-name'

Note also that aegisub saves in .ass format (yeah, quite a LOL-lish
extension for a filename, isn't it?). While .ass is quite cool because
supports styling (bold, italic, underline) the file is not really easy to
review. For that I preferred to export .ass into .srt (which is
cleaner, as structure of the file, IMO): you can do this via File →
Export subtitles... .

Now, a couple of suggestions:

1. As said above, I'm a newbie in creating subtitles, but I've decided to
not write down all interjections ("ok?" "so") typical of verbal speech:
it seems better this way, to me.

2. I've also decided to fix errors (grammar errors mostly) made by the
speaker, writing the correct version of a sentence

3. I've totally skipped the last part, the Q&A part. Maybe if there are
enough people to join this effort we can add also that, but for now it
seems enough to me to subtitle the talk

4. I decided to use punctuations: I'm not sure about it, but it sounds
better.

> I am not particularly interested in any talk.
> I can start with "Debian: software libre y abierto en la sociedad
> actual" [1] if nobody says he/she prefers to do that one, and nobody
> suggest me to do a different one.

Fine for me.

Thank you very much for your help, let me know if you have any doubt, and
if you need a technical review (for the synchronization, for instance)!

Cheers,

Francesca

--
"Nostra patria è il mondo intero