Re: [Debconf-team] SVN -> GIT migration

On 12901 March 1977, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:

>>> - reports: move the reports into the dcXX repository in a directory
>>>   report. So /reports/dc11 becomes /report in the dc11.git repository.
>> Why not keep the reports all together?
> I don't know why they were initially put into a separate directory. But
> it seems to me that they belong more to the respective conference than
> to the other reports. I would expcet to find the report for dc11 in
> dc11.git, but YMMV. If there is consensus that the current layout is
> superior I won't argue against it.

Well, I partly agree, but I think it can be handy to "just" have all the
reports together. You work on reports, you can easily look into earlier
ones, without needing the whole rest of the older gits. When one
argument of the switch and split is to minimize size, then it applies
here too :)

>>> For the repository names I propose to ditch the "-data" part as it is
>>> just confusing (at least to me).
>> And when converting -team too, how do you propose to differentiate
>> between data and team?
> What do you actually mean by differentiate?

I mean you clone dc42 from data, ie. the public part.
Next you clone dc42 from team, ie. the team part.

> Access rights? I see two options here:

> - A separate Alioth project for every years debconf private
>   repository.
> - A common project for all years and differentiating access with ACLs
>   on git.debian.org

How far does alioth let us go with ACLs?
I mean those that do not require us to ask an alioth admin to do some
acl setups for us. :)
With a gitolite setup I would be for the second as I know I can go down
to directory and file level access. Never tried how far you can do this
on alioth.

The first option would be doable, but annoying too. Everytime one of us
admins would need to request it, wait for the alioth admins to approve
it, then set the usual minimum set of people, create a git, blech.

>>> - We just don't care and the username is aliothlogin@alioth.debian.org
>>>   (currently @localhost, but that's easy to fix)
>> Not good.
> Just because you think it looks ugly or do you see any technical problem
> with this solution?

No technical problem, but it is ugly and usually not hard to avoid. We
have this central place since 6 years only, it should be possible to get
a login -> name mapping.

>> I'll have to adjust all websites and stuff that depends on automagically
>> svn up, so a date where we both have time and are online would be
>> good.
> All right, I think we can agree on the exact date later when it's clear
> how exactly we want to do it.

Yes. A weekend is best.

--
bye, Joerg
How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I