[Debconf-team] Sponsor logo position on website

22:34 < h01ger> xamanu, i fear you need to do something about the logos...
                (and, first, i should say: "yay, logos on the website!" ;-)
22:34 < h01ger> but as they are now, they are too much hidden / way too much
                down
22:36 < h01ger> you only see then if you scroll down..
22:36 < h01ger> they dont need to be permanently visible, ie its ok if they
                scroll out..
22:36 < h01ger> which (afaics) leaves two options: logos on the left, below the
                menu, or on the right. pick your poison ;)
22:37  * h01ger loves advertising as much as you'd expect, but we're young and
          we need the money ;-p
22:38  * h01ger otoh thinks the permanent sponsors are fine down there - also
          because its looks like a permanent location there, visually

02:53 < xamanu> h01ger: We have designed it as it is with the web team and
                later communicated it to the debconf-team mailing list (with
                the design proposals): * The sponsors' logos were all over the
                place, but usually a user is
02:53 < xamanu> only seeing the first or maybe the second highest sponsor, and
                with
02:53 < xamanu> short text we had some really ugly white spaces for excessive
                scrolling.
02:53 < xamanu> (See for example http://debconf11.debconf.org/debianday.xhtml)
                We think
02:53 < xamanu> it is better to get all sponsors together into the footer. So
                we can
02:53 < xamanu> avoid unnecessary scrolling and if somebody wants to see them,
                then they
02:53 < xamanu> are all there; nice and compact.
02:53 < xamanu> h01ger: And it's not just me involved. So if we need to discuss
                this, the mailing list might be a better option.

The problem is, it's not about "if somebody wants to see them": the
logos need to be clearly displayed to all website users.  At the
moment most probably won't scroll down far enough to see them, and so
this doesn't satisfy what we promise the sponsors.

Putting them in a partly-visible side-bar is already the
lowest-visibility option that is acceptable (and probably, as
previously, the best solution); if they're to be in a horizontal
strip, this would have to be above, not below, the main text, to make
website users see them.

--
Moray