Re: [Debconf-team] Sponsor logo position on website

On 02/29/2012 02:59 AM, Moray Allan wrote:
> 22:34 < h01ger> xamanu, i fear you need to do something about the logos...
>                 (and, first, i should say: "yay, logos on the website!" ;-)
> 22:34 < h01ger> but as they are now, they are too much hidden / way too much
>                 down
> 22:36 < h01ger> you only see then if you scroll down..
> 22:36 < h01ger> they dont need to be permanently visible, ie its ok if they
>                 scroll out..
> 22:36 < h01ger> which (afaics) leaves two options: logos on the left, below the
>                 menu, or on the right. pick your poison ;)
> 22:37  * h01ger loves advertising as much as you'd expect, but we're young and
>           we need the money ;-p
> 22:38  * h01ger otoh thinks the permanent sponsors are fine down there - also
>           because its looks like a permanent location there, visually
>
> 02:53 < xamanu> h01ger: We have designed it as it is with the web team and
>                 later communicated it to the debconf-team mailing list (with
>                 the design proposals): * The sponsors' logos were all over the
>                 place, but usually a user is
> 02:53 < xamanu> only seeing the first or maybe the second highest sponsor, and
>                 with
> 02:53 < xamanu> short text we had some really ugly white spaces for excessive
>                 scrolling.
> 02:53 < xamanu> (See for example http://debconf11.debconf.org/debianday.xhtml)
>                 We think
> 02:53 < xamanu> it is better to get all sponsors together into the footer. So
>                 we can
> 02:53 < xamanu> avoid unnecessary scrolling and if somebody wants to see them,
>                 then they
> 02:53 < xamanu> are all there; nice and compact.
> 02:53 < xamanu> h01ger: And it's not just me involved. So if we need to discuss
>                 this, the mailing list might be a better option.
>
> The problem is, it's not about "if somebody wants to see them": the
> logos need to be clearly displayed to all website users.  At the
> moment most probably won't scroll down far enough to see them, and so
> this doesn't satisfy what we promise the sponsors.
>
> Putting them in a partly-visible side-bar is already the
> lowest-visibility option that is acceptable (and probably, as
> previously, the best solution); if they're to be in a horizontal
> strip, this would have to be above, not below, the main text, to make
> website users see them.

We are not very happy about this, especially we would have had a lot
less work, if these concerns would have been risen before. In mid
December we showed you our first website design proposal [1] where the
logos have been already in the footer. Anyway changing the position of
the logos is not just putting them into the sidebar. We have to re-think
some things (especially considering the footer) to get all sensefully
together again, make a new design proposal and then implement the
changes into the template.

By the way, personally, I still think that it is better in the footer.
It looks just a lot better, this way it doesn't break design (like on
the old site [2]). And  on the old site people were mainly seeing the
platin sponsor and nothing else, even if you were interested to see the
sponsors you had to scroll a lot and search all of them together,
because they were located in different places.
I prefer to take serious the visitors of the website: If people don't
want to see the sponsors they ignore them anyway, no matter where they
are, and I'm sure a lot of people do want to check out the sponsors, so
I prefer giving them the sponsors in a way they can see them all grouped
together. I think in the footer they get attention, because our footer
includes (some funny) design and that makes it interesting to scroll
down and, of course, when printing something of the website they are
going to be on the paper.

Do you really think that the position of the logos on the website is
important for possible sponsors for their decision about sponsoring or
not? Would it be an option to get only platin sponsors to the top? Any
ideas on how to resolve this? Leo, main designer, what do you think?

Cheers,
Felix

[1] http://lists.debconf.org/lurker/message/20111214.051157.545d4a7d.en.html
[2] http://debconf11.debconf.org/debianday.xhtml